Publications as PI
- Nina Erwin, Maria Fernanda Serafim, M. He*, Enhancing the Cellular Production of Extracellular Vesicles for Developing Therapeutic Applications, Pharmaceutical Research, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-022-03420-w.
- Jillian Walker, Padraic O’Malley, M. He*, Applications of Exosomes in Diagnosing Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer, Pharmaceutics, 2022, 14, 2027.
- S. Ruan, Y. Huang, M. He, H. Gao, Advanced Biomaterials for Cell-Specific Modulation and Restore of Cancer Immunotherapy, Advanced Science, 2022, 2200027.
- S. Ruan, N. Erwin, M. He*, Light-induced high-efficient cellular production of immune functional extracellular vesicles, Journal of Extracellular Vesicles, 2022, 11, e12194.
- N. He, S. Thippabhotla, C. Zhong, Z. Greenberg, L. Xu, Z. Pessetto, A. K. Godwin, Y. Zeng, M. He*, Nano pom-poms prepared exosomes enable highly specific cancer biomarker detection, Nature Communications Biology, 2022, 5, 660.
- P. Zhuang, Y. Chiang, M. S. Fernanda, M. He*, Using Spheroids as building blocks towards 3D bioprinting of tumor microenvironment, International Journal of Bioprinting, 2021, 7(4):444.
- S. Hong, S. Ruan, Z. Greenberg, M. He, Jodi McGil, Development of Surface Engineered Antigenic Exosomes as Vaccines for Respiratory Syncytial Virus, Scientific Reports, 2021, 11,21358.
3. B. J. Stottlemire, J. W. Whitlow, A. R. Chakravarti, C. J. Berkland, M. He*, Remote-controlled 3D Porous Ferromagnetic Interface towards High- throughput Dynamic 3D Cell Culture, ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 2021, 7, 9, 4535–4544.
Featured as the Cover Art
4. P. Zhuang, S Phung, A Warnecke, A Arambula, MS Peter, M He*, H Staecker*, Isolation of sensory hair cell specific exosomes in human perilymph, Neuroscience Letters, 2021, 136282.
5. P. Zhuang, Z. Greenberg, M. He*, Biologically Enhanced Starch Bio-ink for Promoting 3D Cell Growth, Advanced Materials Technologies, 2021, 2100551.
6. S. Ruan, Z. Greenberg, X. Pan, P. Zhuang, N. Erwin, M. He*, Extracellular Vesicles as an Advanced Delivery Biomaterial for Precision Cancer Immunotherapy, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2021, 2100650.
7. B. J. Stottlemire, J. D. Miller, J. Whitlow, P. Dhar, M. He, C. J. Berkland, Remote Sensing and Remote Actuation via Silicone–Magnetic Nanorod Composites, Advanced Materials Technologies, 2021, 6 (6), 2001099
8. R. Elliott, M. He*, Unlocking the Power of Exosomes for Crossing Biological Barriers in Drug Delivery, Pharmaceutics, 2021, 13, 122.
- S. Hong, S. Ruan, P. Gamero Kubota, M. He, J.L. McGill, Immunogenic potency of engineered exosomes for prevention of respiratory syncytial virus, The Journal of Immunology, 2020, 204 (1 Supplement), 245.22-245.22.
- Q. Zhu, M. Hamilton, B. Vasquez, M. He*, 3D-printing Enabled Micro-assembly of Microfluidic Electroporation System for 3D Tissue Engineering, Lab on a Chip, 2019, 19, 2362-2372 .
Featured as the Emerging Investigator
2. S. Thippabhotla, C. Zhong, M. He*, 3D cell culture stimulates the secretion of in vivo like extracellular vesicles, Scientific Reports, 2019, 9, 13012 .
Featured as the Top 100 Read Articles of 2019
3. P. Zhang, X. Zhou, M. He, Y. Shang, A. L. Tetlow, A. K. Godwin, Y. Zeng, Ultrasensitive detection of circulating exosomes with a 3D-nanopatterned microfluidic chip , Nature Biomedical Engineering, 2019, 3, 438-451.
Featured in the Editorial: Clever Chip Designs for Diagnostics, Nature Biomedical Engineering, 2019, 3, 417.
Featured in the News: Enhanced Detection of Tumor-secreted vesicles, Nature Biomedical Engineering, 2019, 4, 421.
4. Z. Zhao, J. McGill, P. Gamero Kubota, M. He*, Microfluidic On-demand Engineering of Exosomes towards Cancer Immunotherapy, Lab on a Chip, 2019, 19, 1877 – 1886
- Q. Zhu, M. Heon, Z. Zhao, M. He*, Microfluidic Engineering of Exosomes: Editing Cellular Messages for Precision Therapeutics. Lab on a Chip, 2018, 18, 1690-1703.
Featured as the Cover Story
- K. Plevniak, M. Campbell, T. Myers, A. Hodges, M. He*, 3D Printed Auto-mixing Chip Enables Rapid Smartphone Diagnosis of Anemia. Biomicrofluidics, 2016, 10, 054113.
ScienceDaily News, 3D Printing Industry News
2. Z. Zhao, Y. Yang, Y. Zeng, M. He*, A Microfluidic ExoSearch Chip for Multiplexed Exosome Detection Towards Blood-based Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis. Lab on a Chip, 2016, 16, 489-496.
Back Cover Story, RSC Most Download Articles of 2016
3. M. He, Y. Zeng, Microfluidic Exosome Analysis towards Liquid Biopsy for Cancer. Journal of Laboratory Automation, 2016, 21, 599-608.
SLAS Reader Choice Award 2018
4. P. Zhang, M. He, Y. Zeng, Ultrasensitive microfluidic analysis of circulating exosomes using a nanostructured graphene oxide/polydopamine coating. Lab on a Chip, 2016, 16, 3033-3042.
Featured as the Emerging Investigator
K. Plevniak, M. He*, Microfluidic Technology: the Next–generation Drug Discovery Tool. Drug Target Review, 2015, 2(3), 18-20.
Work prior to being the PI
M. He, J. Crow, M. Roth, Y. Zeng, A. K. Godwin, Integrated immunoisolation and protein analysis of circulating exosomes using microfluidic technology. Lab on a Chip, 2014, 14, 3773-3780. Royal Chemistry Society Lab On a Chip 2014 Most Accessed Article, KU Cancer Center News and Research Highlights, Labmedica Daily Clinical Lab News
D. Kim, K. Karns, S. Tia, M. He, A. E. Herr, Electrostatic protein immobilization using charged polyacrylamide gels and cationic detergent microfluidic Western blotting. Analytical Chemistry, 2012, 84, 2533-2540.
M. He, Y. Zeng, A. Jemere, D. J. Harrison, Tunable thick polymer coatings for on-chip electrophoretic protein and peptide separation. Journal of Chromatography A, 2012, 1241, 112-116.
M. He, J. Novak, B. A. Julian, A. E. Herr, Membrane-assisted online renaturation for automated microfluidic lectin blotting. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2011, 133, 19610-19613.
S. Q. Tia, M. He, D. Kim, A. E. Herr, Multi-analyte on-chip native western blotting. Analytical Chemistry, 2011, 83, 3581–3588.
M. He, A. E. Herr, Automated microfluidic protein immunoblotting. Nature Protocols, 2010, 5, 1844-1856.
M. He, J. Bao, Y. Zeng, D. J. Harrison, Parameters governing reproducibility of flow properties of porous monoliths photopatterned within microfluidic channels. Electrophoresis, 2010, 31, 2422-2428.
M. He, A. E. Herr, Polyacrylamide gel photopatterning enables automated protein immunoblotting in a two-dimensional microdevice. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2010, 132, 2512-2513. JACS front web page highlights
M. He, A. E. Herr, Microfluidic polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis with in-situ immunoblotting for native protein analysis. Analytical Chemistry, 2009, 81, 8177-8184.
M. He, Y. Zeng, X. Sun, D. J. Harrison, Confinement effects on the morphology of photopatterned porous polymer monoliths for capillary and microchip electrophoresis of proteins. Electrophoresis, 2008, 29, 2980-2986.
Y. Zeng, M. He, D. J. Harrison, Microfluidic Self-Patterning of Large-Scale Crystalline Nanoarrays for High-Throughput Continuous DNA Fractionation. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2008, 47, 6388-6391.